The ultimate phone for people with hearing loss.
Advantages of CapTel
- Calls are made in a natural manner, simply dial the telephone number directly for the person you are calling
- Users enjoy natural telephone conversations, and can check the captions for added clarity.
- Captions appear nearly simultaneously with the spoken words
- CapTel includes an amplified handset and tone control for clarity
- Built in answering machine with captions of your messages.
- Advanced technology like Bluetooth™ connectivity, speaker phone, and dial-by-picture features.
What is CapTel?
Ideal for people with some degree of hearing loss, the Captioned Telephone, or CapTel, works like any other telephone with one important addition: It displays every word the caller says throughout the conversation. CapTel phone users can listen to the caller, and can also read the written captions in the CapTel’s bright display window.
How It Works
You dial the other person’s number, exactly the same way as with any other telephone. While you dial, the CapTel phone automatically connects to the captioning service. When the other party answers, you hear everything they say, just like a traditional call. At the same time, the captioning service transcribes everything they say into captions, which appear on the CapTel display window. You hear what you can, and read what you need to.
CapTel captioning service is provided as part of a federally-funded program, regulated by the FCC, that is designed specifically to help individuals with hearing loss access the telephone.
FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS ANYONE BUT REGISTERED USERS WITH HEARING LOSS FROM USING INTERNET PROTOCOL (IP) CAPTIONED TELEPHONES WITH THE CAPTIONS TURNED ON. IP Captioned Telephone Service may use a live operator. The operator generates captions of what the other party to the call says. These captions are then sent to your phone. There is a cost for each minute of captions generated, paid from a federally administered fund. No cost is passed on to the CapTel user for using the service.